What does it mean to be relational as a teacher? How will you interact with your students to accomplish this?
I think that being a relational teacher means that you have a deeper, more personal connection with your students. It means that you care about your students' personal successes, and they genuinely care about what you think about them.
In order to maintain this sort of relationship with my students, I believe that I have to successfully convey sincerity and passion. It's not about making them like me or making friends, because that's not what I'm getting paid for. It is, however, very important for my students to truly believe that I care about and have their best interests in mind.
Brad,
ReplyDeleteBeing relational is important! Making connections with our students helps us to understand them better and help our students enjoy class more and feel important.
At the same time it is essential that teachers remain professional and a role model.
You are so right, they need to know their teacher cares :o)
Thanks!